Today (Family Day), the roofers were finally able to return to continue installing the roof. They managed to get the rear of the house on about 3 weeks ago, but have been held up due to ice and snow. Due to the recent spike in temperatures, the snow has melted and we are going full-speed ahead. The roofers were able to get about half of the front on today (sorry for the lack of pics…but the lighting is difficult at the front of the house).
Hopefully the roof will be completed by the end of the week – I think they have about two days worth of work left…but it’s going to rain tomorrow, so maybe Wednesday.
Last Friday, we received the spiral pipe for the HVAC which will be installed under the slab-on-grade. We have been waiting about 3 weeks for this pipe (holding everything up!) as it was a completely custom order direct from the manufacturer. It had to be dipped in a special coating to ensure it is watertight; corrosion-, decay-, and mildew resistant. All of the couplings should arrive by Wednesday.
The HVAC Contractor should be there tomorrow to start laying out all of the ducts. This is a massive step and will hopefully mean that we can pour the slab next week. This makes me happy! I have piled a lot of gravel (which is now thawed) beside each of the trenches to make it easy for the contractor.
One item that had been put off for a while was the cutting of the beam (as the two spans are significantly different lengths – 10ft and 26ft). If only 3300lbs was applied to the 26ft side of the beam, there was potential that the post at the other end could lift off the ground.
As a result, the framing contractor came back to cut the beam. Never take your contractors word for anything – this is what I found upon closer inspection:
As you can see in the first photo, the contractor had managed to get the 26ft beam just 2 inches on the post, and the 10ft beam 6 inches on it. I ended up repositioning the post such that it was almost centered and putting some better bolts in it to nicely secure everything. Keep in mind, this is 18ft in the air and the post weighs probably about 500lbs.
With the post issue out of the way, the structural engineer stopped by to review the framing. He found a couple of deficiencies which will need to be addressed before we can get the structural inspection.
But, on Saturday, I managed to pull down the temporary support posts – so now it is in the final configuration from a structural perspective. Taking down the support posts was no easy task – it was still bearing some weight and was very tall!
With all the work that still needs to be completed – there will be a lot of drilling of concrete. So, to make things easier, I picked up a new toy – a cordless rotary hammer drill. A rotary hammer drill is different than a hammer drill as it drills concrete about 15x faster. I am looking forward to using this thing.